Saturday, June 03, 2006

Friday night

Wow, what a night that just was. Forgive me if this is a little incoherent as I've been awake for about 30 hours now and I'm frazzled (is that a real word?). Shortly I'm going to bed, but I just wanted to write some stuff before I begin drooling unattractively onto my pillow for the next 8 hours.

We got into the heart of the city and saw humanity at its finest as drunken mates brawled with strangers and each other. We did however see a kid having a seizure (it was his first one, so he got to go to hospital for investigation) and had a few patients who actually needed an ambulance.

About a third of my patients last night were in police custody for various reasons. Some had been fighting and had lost, some were PFO's (pissed and fell over), some had been arrested for drink driving and now thought that a theatrical "I'll just throw myself to the floor and pretend I'm unconscious" was going to make the police charges go away. Wrong.

Its hard to pick my favourite job from the last 24 hours...but here are some "honorable Mentions":

The young man who had just taken a big syringe full of amphetamines and was now feeling "jittery" and restless. Newsflash - that's what happens when you pump low-grade poison into your veins. He kept grabbing at me and saying; "You gotta help me - I'm dying". He wasn't and he didn't.

The bloke on the street corner who insisted on being taken right across town to a particular hospital because he had a really bad pain in his shoulder, oh and yeah, it was near his house - who then walked straight out of the ambulance, through the waiting room and went home. Ever heard of using a taxi?

The girl who was so drunk, she was lying in her own vomit and urine on the footpath and whose friends thought that they'd leave her there to sleep it off while they stayed in the pub to keep drinking. I wish I had friends like that.

A particular winner for me was the group of 16 year olds apprehended by the police with a shopping trolley full of household letterboxes they had been stealing - what the hell were they intending to do with them?

2 comments:

Steve said...

The bloke with the "shoulder pain" would have been taken to the "nearest A&E" which in reality would have been the furthest from his house that I could justify going to. That soon stops them lol

Spike said...

Must be able to get a massive blackmarket price for used letterboxes. Couldn't possibly be they were dimwits :)