Sunday, September 24, 2006

Now I lay me down to sleep

Hey firstly thanks for all the great comments lately everyone, you have made me laugh several times!

I've just completed a Saturday nightshift. My eyes are burning and I feel slightly nauseous from lack of sleep and too much coffee. It was a flat out night, 15 hours with just a 30 minute break early in the night where I managed to grab a meal. I was lucky, I heard many of the cars still reporting they had not eaten a meal late into the night. The city hospitals were struggling and the ambulance service was running around all night, chasing all sorts of calls until the morning finally arrived and it died off a bit. There are a lot of very tired paramedics out there this morning.

My partner and I did no really major jobs of note, just an assortment of miscellaneous calls - a regular caller who is a chronic alcoholic and has taken to ringing for the most rediculous reasons, an old girl in a nursing home with a fever, a drunk young man with laceration to the leg, a man with angina, a man who had been assaulted the day before and now had two black eyes, a woman with anxiety, another woman hyperventilating, a man with abdo pain and a girl with a sore throat, oh and a kid who had fallen out of a high chair.

All in all a big night. But now I am bone tired and need to sleep. I have a few good stories to tell but they will have to wait until I'm rested. Eyes are getting heavy...

Let the snoring begin.

2 comments:

caramaena said...

You know it always surprises me that jobs where it is critical to have full use of your faculties, have you work such long shifts.

It must be hard on you when you're this tired and (for others) hungry because you haven't had a chance to eat.

Rest up Rob...

minime said...

Hi, I just found your blog, love it by the way, can't get enough. Don't know if you're still active, but I was just wondering, why did you become a paramedic?