Friday, May 26, 2006

Mornin' Rob

Its 4.pm. For the first time in months I've had a decent few hours sleep after night shift. I'm staring at the pile of cereal I've just poured onto the Kambrook sandwich grill and thinking through my cloudy haze that something doesn't look right. The cat circles around my legs trying desperately to get my attention. I know as soon as I feed her she'll give me the question mark (she looks like a ? when she walks away). It's an odd arrangement. All I'm apparently good for is providing food and a heat source on cold nights. Seeing that I'm off working most of the time I'm not brilliant at providing either.

I check the answering machine and listen to my messages - some of them are 3 days old already. Letting out an exaggerated yawn, I put on a big pot of brewed coffee. It usually takes me a few cups to get a clear head. I jam my nose into the only milk carton in the fridge. It fails the sniff test miserably and I recoil cursing. Scratch about for some coins and walk down to the local shop. People are driving home from work and kids are getting off the buses after school - I feel really out of it - a strange disconnected feeling. The cat meets me at the front gate and then follows me inside pleading for attention. Ok ok! Phew... still one can of cat food in the cupboard. She takes one sniff, looks at me and walks away. Great.

I get four days off. I have just slept through my first one and there is less than an hour of daylight left. I will sit watching tv or reading a book for the next few hours before going for a run. Then its dinner and an early night. The real days off start tomorrow.

6 comments:

rob said...

Thanks "Jack" I appreciate your comments - I must admit I didn't really think anyone would read my drivel - but I'm really chuffed they are! And I will take your advice and avoid becoming another agitated patient :)

Spike said...

I didn't really think anyone would read my drivel

Are you kidding? Ambo blogs are right up there for popularity.

Merys said...

yep, and I'm reading too, linked from John at I Like Curry

rob said...

mmmm... curry

Anonymous said...

I say LOL and mean it-as a fellow night shift worker I completely understand the 'knowing somethings wrong but can't figure out what' feeling!

I know it's bad when I can't even remember the phonetic alphabet. There seema to be a bizarred phenomen where I work of the 'Giggle Hour'-somewhere between 3 and 5 am the whole team gets the giggles, chucklong away at the most bizarre things, usually cryptic crossword clues!

rob said...

Ah yes, very familiar with the early morning sillies!