Monday, May 22, 2006

officially useless

I've just had a few days off and changed lines on my roster so I earned a couple of extra days away from the ambleeance. I have to say it was rather nice. Back to business today though and it sure was business as usual. We went to Chest pain, leg pain, head pain, vomiting, epistaxis, lacerated (by accident) and last but not least; need a sick certificate for work. Yep, we got called to a guy who has had a pain in his back for 3 years which he has seen a number of doctors about. He said he didn't get to the clinic before it closed and he needs a certificate to say he is unfit for work tomorrow, so he rings '000' and asks for an ambulance.

I tried to explain that we don't provide that particular service and that we'd be happy to run him up to hospital or even arrange for a doctor to come and see him at home. Not good enough apparently - he got all cranky and told us we were useless. Several more offers were made to help him before we wandered back out to the truck to go and be 'useless' elsewhere.

3 comments:

Spike said...

Bloody hell. You gotta wonder about some people's IQ.

caramaena said...

Someone called 000 for a SICK CERTIFICATE????

Oh. My. God.

rob said...

Did you pat all your pockets down and say "sorry I'm fresh out of beta blockers .. can I offer you a free blood glucose analysis"? What would we do without all these people to amuse us :)