Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Over there...we got us a waver

All right I don't quite get it - you or someone you know has called an ambulance - thats good. I would too if I needed one. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive you decide to go out front and wait for it to come. Again - I can understand that, the waiting must be terrible sometimes and we all have our different way of coping.

Most people stand out on the street and when they see the flashing lights come down the road, they'll step out and wave - this can be magic for an ambulance crew who suddenly don't have to be counting houses, squinting for non-existant house numbers and trying to work out where Unit 2A of block 4, 42-45 East-something-court is while driving at a rate of knots. You look up and there is someone doing 'the wave'. This can be a slow one arm "Look, I'm a tree in the wind" impersonation or it can be the double armed "If I do this fast enough, I'll actually take off" method - both will get our attention and I'm usually very grateful.

There is another method which I'm stuggling to get my head around and that is the ESP method. When an emergency services vehicle goes past most people have a look, a few don't but most will stop and stare for a second or two at least - go on, I know you've done it. I still do it! But this other group of 'wavers' will stand out the front of the house and just stare as you go past, obviously sending you powerful ESP messages that you have arrived at the right place....and have in-fact driven past..... and that you should turn around and come back. No wave, no smile, no yell, no raised eyebrow, no nod, nothing. We do a 17 point turn in the tiny street with cars on both sides and finally arrive - where we're often asked; didn't you see me? I always try to answer this question with my mind, but I'm not sure I'm getting through. I'll have to keep working on it.

2 comments:

rob said...

Windmills - I like that :)

Anonymous said...

Next time you get an obvious waver, arms going a million miles an hour, standing in the middle of the road, drive past slowly and stop down the street. Then reverse back to the address and say 'sorry about that, didn't see you there" Oh yeah, don't laugh either

darwin