Monday, October 17, 2011

Heavy eyelids part III

Ok time to get moving. We all knew this was going to be a challenge. The folding wheelchair was brought in and we carefully moved nanna across from the bed. As I moved her legs over to the footplate I was amazed by the size of the ankles and the sheer weight of the limbs. What I could see below the pressure bandages looked dry red and sore. With the CPAP device on, she soon stopped fighting the mask and appeared almost immediately more alert to what was going on. The monitor appeared to be settling down too with far fewer ventricular ectopics drifting across the screen. All good signs that things were settling down a little.

I carried the monitor and oxygen while one of the ALS crew struggled with the wheelchair. As we turned into the hallway I could see immediatley things didn't add up. There was no way were squeezing through between the piles of porcelain and the half open door. Dumping our equipment, my partner and I grabbed one end each of the fully loaded display and started dragging it across the carpet to where we could get it out of our way. The case tilted alarmingly and I saw we now had nannas full attention. I could hear her trying to say something to us from under the hissing mask as we grunted and heaved her precious collectables. She may have been saying 'don't worry if you break a few of those dusty old things fellas, I was going to throw them out anyway', but in reality I think what she said was something about my mother.

A few more nitrates later and Nanna's blood pressure was becoming reasonable again. We did a 12 lead ECG in the car, but there was nothing worthy of transmitting to the hospital. I gave a small amount of lasix via IV and I could see she had really turned the corner. Nanna was now doing well. I patted her hand and told her so.

I called up the duty Clinician to pass details to the hospital - he sounded fresh and alert and clearly just at the start of his shift. The hospital then came on the line and I handed over: "We are loaded with a 78 year old female, presents this morning with acute respiratory distress..." I rattled off the current vital signs. Another annoying alert and chirpy voice said; "Thank you, see you in 10 minutes."

After completing my paperwork, I wandered out the front of the hospital to where my partner was dozing in the car. I pulled open the door and he sat up with a start. That's payback for waking me up earlier. A couple of tired looking ED staff were sharing a cigarette off to the side of the ambulance bay. The sky was properly light now and my first day off was going to be spent sleeping. My eyes felt dry and my lids felt heavy. Now just got to make it back to branch without getting another job.

No comments: