Monday, November 07, 2011

Same old thing

I went interstate on my days off and ended up catching up with a couple of "ambulance drivers" from another state. The uniform is a different colour but the call-outs are the same. We drank coffee and they matched my massive catastrophic shaving cut story with the "not brave enough to pull off own band-aid" story. We went back and forth knowing the saddest part about a bunch of paramedics telling stories is the complete lack of need to embellish. Its the same all over the world.

5 comments:

InsomniacMedic said...

UK medic reporting in and agreeing with every word... The languages may be different, or at least the accents, but the patients are exactly the same...

Enjoying your blog!

rob said...

Cheers mate, yours too!

Anonymous said...

Rob, I just want to thank you for this blog. As a student paramedic at one of the various universities in the state, it's really hard to get hands on experience and interest which I find this blog helps fix, it's espically helpful as I don't know of any other local based blogs. All your experiences, whether they be funny, sad, god dammed outrageous or just a normal case teaches me a new lesson, perspective or insight. I again want to thank you and say that I hope you keep posting so that I can learn, laugh, prepare for the best and the worst and understand paramedic culture a bit better.

rob said...

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you enjoy your course and don't worry the experience will come!

Janey said...

I can say this is totally the same in Vet Nursing. Heart breaking. But also awesome at times, because there can be incredibly happy stories, and incredibly interesting gorey bits.