Saturday, March 18, 2006

Getting spat at

Well today I got spat at again. But for once I didn't even mind so much - normally when I get spat at, I get really pissed off and the person in question gets "appropriate" measures put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again. This time though it was an old lady with an aquired brain injury. Apparently she was once a sunday school teacher and now she sits around at her nursing home abusing anyone who comes near, hissing the sort of language that you don't expect to come from an old lady. These words seemed really out of place coming from her.

Apparently I was a "rotten bastard" (one of her more polite sayings) for taking her to hospital. She had haematemesis and was vomiting every half an hour. Her husband sat in the front of the ambulance with my partner and said "see what she calls me after 50 years of marriage?" Anyway when she couldn't get a rise out of me with all the insults, she chose to spit at me. I moved to a different chair in the ambulance and got out of the firing line. Every now and then she got a look on her face like she'd just realised the words that she'd said and she'd go quiet for a moment. Then it'd all start over. Getting spat on this time, well really I wasn't mad, I was just kinda sad for her.

No comments: